Cleaning, lubricating and centering a Zeiss GFL Pol Scope

• Hi Bernd,
    I tried with simple tools to unscrew the nosepiece screw but it resisted, as expected.
    So I put some unblocking fluid around it and left overnight to let the solvent act on the thread.
    This afternoon I will try again, and then I will start to build a proper tool to unscrew.

I verified also by a bubble level that the base and the table of the scope are parallel while the nosepiece holder is slightly tilted to the right.
    What I still do not understand is how could it be possible to misplace such a robust connection well positioned by two pins.
    Best regards,

Salvatore

• Hi Bernd,
    I thank you very much for the continuous assistance, but unfortunately your last suggestion cannot help my situation, because even the piece attached to the arm, which means the dovetailed revolver holder, is skewed.
    And all my measurement were made without an objective, just through a hole of the revolver.
    To measure the amount of tilt I placed a straight bar of wood of 60 cm lenght, at its middle, on the flat surface of the dovetail, where the ocular tubes will adhere, and measured the distance from the bar extremities to the plane of the table.
    I noticed a difference of 2-3 mm from one end to the other, in the sense observed through the collimating ocular.

So I tried to dismount the screw, but with no successs.
    I am really disappointed, but not discouraged. Hope a better luck next days.
    Regards,

Salvatore

• Hi Bernd,
    thanks for your generous offer.
    I will continue to make tests for a while. I have some ideas to check and I will let you know.

Thanks again and best regards,
    Salvatore

• Hi friends,
    I agree with Klaus, no unscrewing without a proper tool.
    I had already made one, which failed, but its principle seems good to me.
    First of all I tested several nails and chose the nearest to the screw holes.
    Then I put on the screw a piece of adhesive paper and with a graphite pencil I colored the region corresponding to the screw head.
    The graphite left clear the two eyes of the screw head.
    Then I turned the faces of a round piece of wood (unfortunately too soft for the job) and applied the paper to a face.
    I placed two nails in correspondence to the center of the eyes going as far as to leave a few millimeters above the face, then I cut the nail heads and rounded the nails with a file.
    I made a hole perpendicularly to the axis of the wood piece and placed into it a star screwdriver having a diameter of 6 millimeters as a convenient handle for a powerful torque.
    I placed this tool on the screw head, where the nails entered properly, then turned with force the wood device by means of the screwdriver.
    I felt the wood turning but unfortunately with no effect on the screw, since the nails bended deforming the wood, too soft for this purpose.
    I plan to repeat this procedure, using steel or at least aluminum instead of wood, and perhaps some steel nails in place of the soft iron I used.

When I will finish with aligning and centering all movable parts, still remains the problem of the centerable objectives.
    In fact all of them are frozen because of dried lubricant.
    I read in Microscopy UK the description of how to dismount them and relubricate, but I am quite afraid to emulate such procedure due to my poor precision mechanics pracrtice.
    Anyone has had such problem with pol centerable oculars of Zeiss?

Regards,
    Salvatore

• the nails bended deforming the wood, too soft for this purpose.

Caro Salvatore,
    are you old enough to know Daniel Düsentrieb? (Micky mouse) shurely in Italy his name is different. He is the big engineer and inventor in MM. I will have to ask my daughter she lives in Italy!
    so for your problem: you should take ironwood! :D Or: save time and money and let Bernd make the real tool!

She found him : https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archimede_Pitagorico

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Klaus Herrmann (1. Dezember 2016 um 18:56)

• Hi Bernd,
    Your device is quite similar to the one I made with the wrong material.
    I see some iridescence in your piece, so I think has been quite heated and probably made of stainless steel.
    It was heated to clamp the pins by inserting them when hot or did you weld the pins to the body?
    Thanks anyhow for the continuous attention to my problems.

Best regards,
    Salvatore

• Hi Bernd,
    I did not yet unscrew the objective revolver but after having cleaned the optics the scope seems to be good enough for may needs, at least for the moment.
    The center of rotation of the table is still eccentric, but since I do not need quantitative measurements I can live with.
    By the way, my objectives are no more centrable because of some freezing of the grease, and for me too complex to clean .
    In the future perhaps I will come again to this task, and with more courage, will proceed.
    I like to thank very much you and all other people who gave precious suggestions to arrive at least to this result.
    I face now two tasks, for which I will interact in the proper threads.
    They are:
    1) Building a led illuminator
    2) Turn an adapter for Olympus objectives I got from e-bay without knowing the need of an adapter when mounted on european scopes.
    In the mean time, I hope for you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
    I hope to partecipate much to this precious blog in the next year.
    Best regards,

Salvatore Previtera

• From ebay. One pin was broken and i have repaired.

Regards
    Bernd

Hi Bernd,
    I decided to place again my hands on the pol scope to solve definitively the problem of the tilt.
    Since I do not think to be able to build the needed tool, with my limited mechanical skill, I would like to buy one.
    Can you help me?
    Thanks,
    Salvatore

• Hi Bernd,
    you can help me by telling me the price of a similar tool, and where to buy it. :)
    Other possibilities are lending your tool, shipping to you the defective scope part, and finally try to build the tool by myself <X .
    I think the first solution is the most convenient.
    Regards,
    Salvatore

• Hi Bernd,
    your picture shows an angled wrench plus a bit which must have two pins to engage the two holes in the screw of Zeiss, shown near, unscrewed.
    Obviously I can get the wrench in any proper shop, but do find the proper bit is another task.
    It will help me to know the exact interaxial distance of the two pins.

Thanks,
    Salvatore

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!