Cleaning, lubricating and centering a Zeiss GFL Pol Scope

• Hi Bernd,
    here is a picture of the 2.5x objective

The cylinder containing the front optics A is locked to the cone B also with the screw C removed.
    By holding firmly the ring G the cone and the cylinder rotate up to about 120° relative to F when a strong rotatory force is applied to the ring D.
    The ring F rotates freely with respect to te objective body H, An eccentric movement of the other side of the optics containing cylinder is detectable.

From the english reference the cone should unscrew easily, but is not my case, so I concluded that two things can happen:
    1) The limited rotation is due to some hardened grease on the cone threads.
    2) While rotating, the optics cilinder and some other parts bound to it moves downwards and encounters a stop.

I hope to have been clear.
    Regards,
    Salvatore

• Thank you very much for this possibility!
    I will probably profit of it when I will finish the tests on the scope.
    Regards,
    Salvatore

• Hi Bernd,
    I prepared and observed some melt crystallized specimen to test the scope performance.
    I saw that the 2.5x, 6.5x and 16x objectives show a field of view slightly off centered with respect to the rotation axis of the table, but if a crystal is placed in the center of the field, it stays always in the field while the table is rotated.
    It is not the best situation, but it allows some use as a qualitative tool, which is my main utilization.
    The 40x objective was badly off center, but a few drops of Zippo fuel allowed some movement of the rings and a sufficient centering.
    Finally, the 100x, which I use very seldom, was incompletely frozen, but with the same treatment showed a very smooth rotaion of both rings allowing a good centering.
    With time the benefits of the treatment with the fuel will disappear and the objectives will again freeze, but I hope they will keep the partially centered situation.
    However I stll try to give me an answer to a main question:
    If the conical end part of the objectives has the threads frozen, but the rings rotate freely, there is no way to block the centering cylinder to force the unscrewing, even in case of slight thread freezing.
    Thank you for the kind attention given to my efforts.
    Regards,
    Salvatore

• Hi Bernd,
    I am sorry, I should have said: "I do not see any way..."
    In fact, I thought to block one centering ring by a tool that could enter in the back and fit on the two horizontal diametrally placed holes, visible also in the photographs f dismounted objectives, but since it needs a particular tool I postponed this approach to the future.

Regards,
    Salvatore

• Hi Bernd,

I am quite ashamed to disturb you after so long time and still bound to the same problem: the lubrication and alignment of my Zeiss GFL Pol.

At the end of the long efforts I obtained a partially centered rotating table and a completely uncentered illumination system, and left the scope as such, involved in many family problems.

Now I am giving another look to the scope and since I have no need to perform quantitative measurements I give more importance to the centering of the illumination.

So I tried to implement tha so called Koehler illumination.

As I understand it consists in adjusting the condenser in a way to have an image of the field diaphragm in the plane of the specimen, and an image of the lamp filament on the at the plane of the aperture diaphragm.

I got easy the first condition, but since there is a fixed ground glass filter after the lamp I have no way to adjust the distance between the lamp and the condenser.

I am very surprised that Zeiss has such an illuminating set up.

Given this situation I proceeded in this way:

I mounted a common not centrable objective and moved the condenser group up to a good focused image of the field diaphragm, then centering it by means of the two screws.

At this point I replaced the fixed objective with a centerable one, and try its centering.

Before proceeding with the help of a solvent and mild heating to reach this result (and then let it freeze forever) I like to know which are the safe solvents to use (that do not provoke delamination of the objective lenses).

I consider benzin, gasoline, xilol, aceton, spray unblocker and lubricant, ethyl alcohol.

While thanking you for your attention and excusing me for being unable to participate to the blog (but work is in progress), I hope for you an year full of good news.

Best regards,

Salvatore

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hallo Salvatore,

schön mal wieder was von dir zu hören nach so langer Zeit.

Was die Wartung der Pol-Objektive anbetrifft, gibt es dieses Faden. Vielleicht hilft er dir als Anleitung.

RE: Zeiss Pol-Objektive in der Wartung.

Die Verharzungen werden mit Benzin gereinigt und ggf. mit Kriechöl vorbehandelt, welches nach der Demontage zu entfernen ist.

Da sich das Mattglas vor dem Lampenkollektor in der Tat nicht wegschwenken läßt, kann man sich aber durch eine passgenaue Lochblende behelfen, die in die Kollektorfassung gesteckt wird. Dadurch läßt sich der Strahlengang ohne Objektiv und Kondensor bereits recht gut zentrieren. Wenn nach dem geköhlerten Zustand mit Objektiv und Kondensor das Kollektorzentrum außerhalb der optischen Achse liegt, ist vermutlich die Frontoptik des Kondensors dejustiert.

Mit Google kannst du nun das Geschriebene übersetzen lassen und deine Antwort ebenfalls übersetzen, bevor du sie postest. Dann braucht das nicht jeder Mitleser zu machen.

VG

Bernd

• Die Verwendung einer undurchsichtigen Lochblende scheint für die Ausrichtung des Kondensors nützlich zu sein, aber ich meine jedoch die Positionierung der Lichtquelle relativ zur Aperturblende, wie empfohlen, um eine Köhler-Beleuchtung zu erreichen
    Das Vorhandensein einer Mattscheibe in einer festen Position zwingt mich dazu, mich zwischen der Fokussierung der Feldblende in der Ebene der Probe und der Fokussierung der Mattscheibe in der Ebene der Aperturblende zu entscheiden. Es ist nicht möglich, beide Bedingungen zu erfüllen.

Code
    Entschuldigung mein Deutsch.
    Salvatore
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Da hast du recht, bei den größeren Lampenhäusern hat man die Möglichkeit, die Streuscheibe vor dem Kollektor wegzuschwenken, um die Lampenwendel zentrieren zu können. Die Lampenfassung vom Leuchtrohr bietet aber keine Zentriermöglichkeit. Dafür sind die Lampensockel mit einem gewissen Blechkranz versehen, der gegenüber dem normalen Lampensockel für eine bessere Zentrierung und Positionierung sorgt. So ist die Kollektorlinse vor der Lampe mattiert.

• A few days ago I started working on the plan 2.5x Pol lens again.
    I splashed a little Pinlube on the centering rings and verified that the behavior of the lens was similar to what was described in my 2019 messages, with the possibility of rotating one ring 120° with respect to the other, albeit with a little ' of effort.
    After a few days, however, I had the unpleasant surprise of finding the two rings completely locked together, but very free to rotate with respect to the lens body, much more than before.
    From that moment on I tried in vain to move the rings together, despite repeated treatments with the solvent, heating with the hairdryer and strong twisting on the rings.
    The two rings are so blocked that I thought of a mechanical impediment, for example a second fixing screw, even if I don't understand why they had the possibility to rotate a little before.
    What to do? To understand a little more I studied a drawing taken from a Zeiss publication showing a 100x Pol lens and I attributed their function to the various parts in section, to make a mental model of Zeiss Pol lenses, which I believe are similar in mechanism centering, apart from the sprung optics for the 50x and 100x.
    I am sending you the drawing with a request to verify whether my attribution is correct.
    Accepting its correctness, it seems that the outer centering cylinder slides almost without resistance, while the rest forms a blockage.
    What can I do? Your every suggestion will be invaluable.
    I take this opportunity to wish you a Happy Easter.
    Salvatore

• Excuse but I do no know how to place r the german version.

Here is it:

Vor ein paar Tagen habe ich wieder angefangen, an dem 2,5x Pol-Objektiv zu arbeiten.
    Ich habe ein wenig Pinlube auf die Zentrierringe gespritzt und festgestellt, dass das Verhalten des Objektivs dem in meinen Nachrichten von 2019 beschriebenen ähnelt, mit der Möglichkeit, einen Ring um 120° gegenüber dem anderen zu drehen, wenn auch mit etwas Aufwand .
    Nach ein paar Tagen erlebte ich jedoch die unangenehme Überraschung, dass die beiden Ringe vollständig miteinander verbunden waren, sich aber sehr viel freier im Verhältnis zum Objektivkörper drehen ließen, viel mehr als zuvor.
    Von diesem Moment an versuchte ich vergeblich, die Ringe zusammenzubewegen, trotz mehrmaliger Behandlung mit dem Lösungsmittel, Erhitzen mit dem Fön und starkem Verdrehen der Ringe.
    Die beiden Ringe sind so blockiert, dass ich an ein mechanisches Hindernis, zum Beispiel eine zweite Befestigungsschraube, gedacht habe, auch wenn ich nicht verstehe, warum sie vorher die Möglichkeit hatten, sich etwas zu drehen.
    Was zu tun? Um etwas mehr zu verstehen, habe ich eine Zeichnung aus einer Zeiss-Publikation studiert, die ein 100-fach-Pol-Objektiv zeigt, und ihre Funktion den verschiedenen Teilen im Schnitt zugeordnet, um ein mentales Modell von Zeiss-Pol-Objektiven zu erstellen, die meiner Meinung nach hinsichtlich der Mechanismuszentrierung ähnlich sind. abgesehen von der gefederten Optik für das 50x und 100x.
    Ich sende Ihnen die Zeichnung mit der Bitte, zu überprüfen, ob meine Namensnennung korrekt ist.
    Akzeptiert man die Richtigkeit, so scheint es, dass der äußere Zentrierzylinder nahezu ohne Widerstand gleitet, während der Rest eine Blockade bildet.
    Was kann ich machen? Jeder Ihrer Vorschläge wird von unschätzbarem Wert sein.
    Ich nutze diese Gelegenheit, um Ihnen frohe Ostern zu wünschen.
    Salvatore

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!